Jul 10, 2023

The Barcelona Dragons arrived at the Lidl Arena knowing that it would be a tough battle. The dynamics of both franchises were even: two consecutive defeats by the Catalans; four by the Helvetians. Clear skies and a temperature that was rather typical of Spain dominated the main stage.


Once again, the Barcelona Dragons started low on the scoreboard due to a Field Goal early in the match, but they were able to come back with a big play: an extraordinary one-handed touchdown by Theo Landström after a pass of more than 30 yards from Conor Miller. The first 15 minutes ended with a Field Goal attempt by Luis Cereceda blocked by the rivals.


The second quarter went to the side of the Helvetic Guards. An interception by Beard at the Dragons’ 25-yard line allowed the local team a great field position for Nacita, one of the most notable players of the game, to pass from the new Quarterback, Noble Skylar, to put his team ahead again. The break would come with two more Field Goals (one of 47 and the other of 39 yards) for the team that wore red: 7-16.


However, the Barcelona Dragons reacted with a great third quarter. First, closing the gap with a 32-yard Field Goal by Luis Cereceda and, immediately afterwards, with a Touchdown by Jordi Torrededia, who caught the ball all by himself in the left corner after a floated pass from Miller, thus tying the game.


However, the madness would come in the last quarter. Up to three consecutive drives possession of the ball was changed: first, an interception by Arapi in the 36 of the Dragons. Immediately afterwards, Fumble recovered by Darius Slade and, finally, a bad connection between Montón and Miller allowed Falk to pick up the ball. All this in two minutes. But it would not end there, since Luke Glenna again intercepted a spectacular ball and was about to make a Pick Six. The Dragons hit a long drive that ended with a converted 19-yard Field Goal. However, the locals responded with another 57-yarder to tie the contest with two minutes remaining.


The game went to Overtime, where a Jonkmans Field Goal gave the final victory to the Swiss team, the first in its history.